National Cheese Curd Day is October 15
Crazy for curds? Lucky for us, UDA makes it easy to enjoy cheese curds throughout the year! Milk n More opened in 2003 and has been making cheese curds since 2009 and has proven to be a customer favorite and best-selling item.
- Each year our cheese plant makes 160,000 pounds of cheese curds.
- Flavors include jalapeno, garlic and dill, garlic black pepper and plain.
- Our best-selling cheese curd flavor is plain.
- Milk can be turned into cheese curds in about 4 hours!
- The Milk n More store sells over 700 bags of curds each each month!
Fun Facts about cheese curds
- It takes a lot of dairy. About 10 pounds of milk are required to produce 1 pound of curds.
- A cheese curd is young cheddar. Instead of growing up into an aged block of cheese, they are separated from the whey during the cheesemaking process, leaving behind a solid curd of cheese that has a milky flavor.
- Curds are colorblind. But some curds are yellow-orange and others are white. Aren't they different types of cheese? Nope. There can be color differences depending on the milk (yes, a cow's diet affects their milk), but mostly the color variation comes from the addition of annatto that turns white curds yellow-orange.
- Squeak test. Elastic protein strands rub against the enamel of your teeth to create that squeak. The squeak also means the cheese curd is fresh, as only produced a few days before. If your curd loses that squeaky feeling, simply put it in a microwave for a few seconds.
- Life is better with curds. The idea to give curds their very own day came from Culver’s in 2015.
Stop by Milk n More on Thursday afternoons after 1:00 pm and pick up a fresh bag of cheese curds minutes after they're done being made!